Hywel Sele Lodge

The Lodges of Nannau

Hywel Sele / Howel Sele Lodge

Hywel Sele (Howel Sele) Lodge, like Coed-y-Moch Lodge, seems to have been built between 1794 and 1818 by Sir Robert Williames Vaughan, Bart. It forms the northern entrance to the deer park. It is semi-ruinous Tudor-Gothic style folly lodge, of coursed rubble construction with a slate roof. Attached to the lodge by means of a low wall, is a Tudor arch built at the same time.

It was awarded a grant of £31,800 circa 2010, towards the repair of the roof, chimneys, windows and doors.

It is currently available a very popular B&B (see video below).

Read more details here.

  • Hywel Sele Lodge in 2004

    Hywel Sele Lodge in 2004 (before being restored)

  • Hywel Sele Lodge in 2014 (1)

    Hywel Sele Lodge in 2014

  • Hywel Sele Lodge in 2014 (1)

    Hywel Sele Lodge in December 2014

  • Hywel Sele Lodge in 2014 (2)

    Hywel Sele Lodge in 2014

  • Hywel Sele Lodge in 2014 (3)

    The Arch of Hywel Sele Lodge in December 2014

  • Hywel Sele Lodge in 2014 (4)

    The octagonal turret at Hywel Sele Lodge.

Alt image
Hywel Sele Lodge circa 1890
Hywel Sele Lodge circa 1890
The Lodge as it appeared in the 1901 book:

Owen Glyndwr And The Last Struggle For Welsh Independence - With A Brief Sketch Of Welsh History


By Arthur Granville Bradley
You can read the book at: gutenberg.org

The lodge is now holiday accommodation, see video below, or visit their website