This is by no means 100% accurate and is a work in progress.
Nannau was in a terrible condition when it was bought by Edward A. Morrison III, D.F.C. in the 1960s. He spent a dozen years renovating it, although the pavilion wings had to be demolished.
Edward Alexander Morrison III, D.F.C. (1907-1995) was an American citizen and retired barrister. He joined the R.A.F. at the start of WWII, initially flying on bombers as a gunner, rising to the rank of Wing Commander by the end of the war. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for “gallantry displayed in flying operations against the enemy” on September 1st, 1941. This was for his part in the daylight bombing the German battleships Gneisenau, Scharnhorst and cruiser Prinz Eugen. The squadron experienced “extremely heavy and accurate anti-aircraft fire and fighter opposition”. He was part of the Ninety-Ninth Squadron. He died in 1995 aged 89.
Mr. E.A. Morrison was the owner of Nannau in June 1978 as he he mentioned by Peter Underwood in his book “Haunted Wales” (and repeated in “Where the Ghosts Walk: The Gazetteer of Haunted Britain”). There is also a photo of Nannau in the book which shows the Pavilion Wings had already been removed.
He was married to Barbara Stanger MacKenzie-Smith Morrison (1902-1996). She was a painter who specialised in landscapes, still life and country homes (from where many of her painting were commissioned). She was previously married to British writer and poet, John Rodker. She died in 1996 aged 94.
They both lived around the Dolgellau area, including Maes-y-Bryner, for thirty years and are buried in Llanelltyd churchyard, a couple of miles south of Nannau.
They were married for fifty-three years.
The Birdcage by B. MacKenzie-Smith - © York Museums Trust
It was in 1974 that the house was split from the Estate. The Nannau Estate has been owned by the same family ever since.
The grounds of the house only cover around 9.7 acres, which is a tiny proportion of the Estate.
It was converted into a hotel when it was sold in 1979 (to a Mr. Bowen?). The interior was drastically altered to make more bedrooms.
In 1991 it became the family home of Dafydd Maslen-Jones and his wife Julie. Dafydd was a direct descendant of Owain Glyndwr. They were planning to turn it into a Bed and Breakfast in March 1995, but it was sold later the same year.
It sold for £350,000 in 1995. It was bought by Hugh Eaves in 1999.
Sales brochure photo from 1998
It sold for £240,000 in 2001 and was bought by Jason Cawood.
In 2002 he was granted planning permission to substitute the previously removed classical entrance hall screen, pilasters, in-situ plaster cornicing, lathe and plaster, internal wall linings and ceilings, ceiling roses, internal doors, door linings, architraves and skirtings.